Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)
Mass Sprite Sheet Expansion Battle & NPC

Threads: 44
Thanks Received: 26
Thanks Given: 21
Status
Zombie
Expanded Battle Sprite Patch Download with Notes

*Attention* I don't recommend using the above patch.
There was a byte or 2 (maybe 3) address typo that caused several issues, and I recently found out that the main battle sprite pointer table(which carried over to most of its other pointer tables) from about sprite #43 up was off, By a lot, which throws practically everything else off. 
If its still what your looking for, I do recommend M06's NPC sprite expansion 
For starters, it DOES work, and has a focused/reasonable goal. Far better place to start from.

I'm only leaving my link up for now because, mostly I don't know how to swap the file from it, but also because I've got nothing better to replace it with yet.

The below list are intended for the pending update, not the original, FYI.

What does it do:
  • Expand the ROM to 6mb
  • Expands the Battle Sprite pointer table to 166 pointers long (Spaced for each to have a full PC size sprite sheet)
  • Expands the Battle Palette table to 166
  • Includes Egger's Expanded Palettes Patch (So some NPC can be displayed correctly in battle)
  • Includes several sprites already loaded (See list below).

This patch was made from a V1.0 Header ROM,
Expanded to 4mb using FF3usME

This leaves free space (due to moved code) from:
C2/CE2B - C2/CE89    (Formerly the Battle Sprite & Palette List - Moved to 41/0000)
C1/3D43 - C1/3E4C    (Code replaced by Egger's Expanded Palettes Patch - Located at FF/F000)
*This list is going to REALLY grow for its updated replacement.

Sprites Included in this Patch (And their Creator if applicable):
  • 16, Leo - (Complete)
  • 17, Banon - (Complete)
  • 18, Morphed Terra - (Need Riding Sprite)
  • 19, Merchant - PocoLoco (Complete)
  • 20, Ghost - PocoLoco (Complete)
  • 21, Kefka - Unknown (Complete)
  • 22, Gesthal - PocoLoco (Complete)
  • 23: Old man (Complete, but needs work)
  • 24: Man (Complete, but needs work)
  • 25: Interceptor - Spriters Apprentice (Complete, could use work)
  • 26: Maria - Zozma (Complete)
  • 27 Scholar - PocoLoco (Complete)
  • 28 Draco - PocoLoco (Complete)
  • 29: Arvis - Odbarc & Poco (Complete)
  • 30 Returner - PocoLoco - (Complete)
  • 31: Ultros - PocoLoco (Needs riding sprite)
  • 32: Gau(suit) - Zozma (Complete)
  • 33: Dancer - PocoLoco (Complete)
  • 34: Chancelor - Zozma (Complete)
  • 35 Clyde - Unknown - (Complete)
  • 36: Old Woman - Zozma (Complete)
  • 37: Woman - Zozma (Complete)
  • 38: Little Boy - Zozma (Complete)
  • 39: Little Girl - Beyond Chaos (Complete)
  • 40 Bird - Jameswhite89 - (Complete)
  • 41 Rachel - Zozma - (Complete)
  • 42: Katarina - Zozma (Complete)
  • 43: Impresiaro - LoneRedMage (Complete)
  • 44: Esper Elder - (Complete, but needs work)
  • 45: Esper man - (Complete, but needs work)
  • 46: Siegfried - PocoLoco (Complete)
  • 47 Cid - FF Fanatic - (Complete)
  • 48 Maduin - PocoLoco - (Complete)
  • 50: Vargas - Zozma (Complete)
  • 51: "Wolf Moster" Volmammoth? - (Complete, but needs work)
  • 52 Narsh Guard - PocoLoco - (Complete)
  • 53: Conductor - Zozma (Complete)
  • 54: Boat Worker - (Complete, but needs work)
  • 55 Fairy Esper - PocoLoco - (Complete)
  • 58 Fish - Jameswhite89 - (Complete)
  • 58: Fish Portrait - Madsiur 
  • 59 Figaro Guard - PocoLoco - (Complete)
  • 60 Daryl - Zozma - (Complete)
  • 61: Chupon - PocoLoco (Complete)
  • 62: Cultist - PocoLoco (Complete)
  • 63: Rahma - I REALLY want/need this one!
  • 64: New Sprite
  • 65: Vicks - Children of Vector (Complete)
  • 66: Gau(Leo's Clothes) - On my to-do list
  • 67: Gau(Locke's Clothes) - (Complete)
  • 68: New Sprite
  • 69: Mag Roader - (Nothing/Blank ATM)
  • 70: New Sprite
  • 71: Wedge - Children of Vector (Complete)
  • 72: Esper(Ifrit) - Would like to have something
  • 73: Esper(Phantom) - (Nothing)
  • 74: Esper(Shiva) - Would like to have something
  • 75:
  • 76: New Sprite
  • 77: Esper
  • 78: Esper
  • 79: New Sprite
  • 80: Green Soldier - Probably become "New Sprite"
  • 81: Blackjack - Airship as used in Auction - could use custom "poses" though, maybe mini Falcon?
  • 82: New Sprite
  • 83: 
  • 84: Treasure Chest - Could use some custom poses, teeth maybe?
  • 85: 
  • 86: Atma Weapon - Astaroth (Complete)
  • 87: New Sprite
  • 88: Celes in Dress - Sutebenuken (Complete)
  • 89: New Sprite
  • 90: Combination of objects
  • 91: New Sprite
  • 92: Cat - Badass (Complete)
  • 93: Combination
  • 94: Combination
  • 95: Combination
  • 96: New Sprite
  • 97: Combination
  • 98: New Sprite
  • 99: 
  • 100: Combination
  • Etc

Notes for the above list:
    If I'm incorrect on the credit/creator of a sprite sheet, please let me know. I've tried like hell to keep track of where they came from, but in the wide wide world of sprites that fact sometime gets a little blurry after they bounce around the net. If you know of one that is complete/cleaner than the one I have listed, again please let me know.

(Could use work) Means I took the vanilla sprite, filled it to a full sheet and added a crappy custom pose or two, needs to be improved.
    (Combination) Its a couple individual static items I combine into one "sheet", slightly harder to use, but frees up other slots after I make adjustments in the map editor and event code.
    (Complete) Means, I'm not even gonna explain this one.

P.S. If you do not want me using your sprite in this project, that is completely your call. I won't take it personal or hold it against anybody, but I have to know before I can take it out or not use it.

All the notes I had are included (including the code I put together, some notes by Edrin, and some notes by Eggers).

This patch will work with FF3usME, but will crash if you attempt to open the Sprite Editor tab. If you want to edit, replace, or add battle sprites you will have to do it manually. The spreadsheet (it has multiple tabs at the bottom...) includes the list of offsets the sprite sheets are intended to be at and should not overwrite each other if placed in the proper location. For information on how to do this:
Edrin's Tutorial on Expanding NPC Sprite Sheets

I have a version of FF6LE that does work with it, but do to the size of the ROM and location of some map sprites its the only version I've seen work. Will have to post it with the patch I guess.

If that doesn't show you how, ask and I'll attempt to explain it.

Eggers' Expanded Palette Patch
This is included in this patch. I did re-assemble it in order to change the sprite and palette pointers to my locations, and in an attempt to move the code to an out of the way location. It also includes another code by Eggers to clear the SRAM data he used to speed up the process (in case you need to force it to reload your palette/sprite data). It uses a few bytes at C3/F091 (formerly Free space). To use it, open the menu in game and hit L+R+Select. You should hear the "healing" sound effect.

This patch does use some "formerly unused" SRAM space. I do not know SRAM, but if you are doing something with it this may effect you.
This patch and it's documentation can be found here:
Eggers' Expanded Palette Patch

There is either a portrait (for menus and such) that gets applied based on the sprite number. If it has one that is, if not it has a place for one and a place for its palette. I'll try and fill in the portraits I can.

If you are having trouble using this patch, or having trouble reading the notes for yourself, ask and I'll try to help.

This patch never really had a set (or reasonable) goal originally. I've been working my way through the event script, trying to make... Natural... Use of the full sheets available. (Narshe Guards being surprised to see M-Tek marching into town, Figaro Castle guard getting backhanded by Kefka, Vargas laughing when he knockks the party down, etc). That script ain't short, so we'll have to see how far I can get.

I also applied a few bug fixes, and a QoL or two "fixes". There is a list that will come with it, but most should not be overly noticeable or drastic changes.

The only true wisdom is knowing you know nothing.
  Find
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to Catone for this post:
  • m06 (06-10-2017), SSJ Rick (12-04-2017)

Thanks Received: 22
Thanks Given: 17
Status
Imprisoned
what do u mean by npc profile pics? portraits?

The only limit is imagination. And 16 colors.. I guess 

Status
Zombie
Yeah, portraits. As in the menu if they are in the party.

Not a very common creation, specially for vanilla NPCs. Wish I had good ones or at least generic that half fit the character and other portraits but, starting to look like I'm gonna have to come up with a completely generic portrait of a black shadow or something just to fill the space with something other than gibberish.

Find

Thanks Received: 22
Thanks Given: 17
Status
Imprisoned
maybe ill make some, after all pocos sprites are sick of these npcs

The only limit is imagination. And 16 colors.. I guess 

Status
Zombie
That would rock.

As for a quick status update, currently no snags, added a few things to the "fixme" list, and a few updates I need to make to the above sprite list. Currently have the battle sprite pointer list and battle palette list moved, expanded, and seemingly working. Inserting sprites and testing come next. Gonna rig up the moggle battlefield to install three parties of npc's instead of moggles for testing, easiest way I can think to check several at a time. Screen shot if succesful, hopefully.

Seems complete vanilla sprite sheets are not that popular to make. Still could have swore I saw a sheet for the children once apon a time, stuff aint easy to find.

On a side note, turns out I can't get a database field to hold a sprite sheet's hex data without chopping it off. Excel on the other hand, holds a full sheet rather well. In a single cell even. Just thought I'd share that. (Yes I've got all the above sprites, saved in a spreadsheet with the rest of the code. I know I'm weird, I admit it.)

I'm down to the point of either OAM pointers or VRAM loading locations being the road block. Looking at the OAM side of it first, kinda: This question

Strangely enough, character 35 graphics load seemingly flawless in battle and map, yet character 27 graphics causes all sorts of cool graphical errors and tries to crash in battle, then character 28 graphics just shows up blank in battle.

Pure dumb luck that graphics on 35 happens to load up perfect? WTF

On a side note, Clyde does look pretty bad ass in battle...

Find

Status
Zombie
[Image: ym9q25untyjh2gzzg.jpg]
Partial success. Marginally anyway.
Assigned graphics: 41, 40, 47, 48 to the moogles at the start of the game and that is the result.
Why a "partial" success? Because other than those four, and number 35, the rest below Gesthal refuse to load anything, or cause major glitches. Don't have the slightest clue how to go about fixing that at the moment.

Find

Threads: 12
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 12
Status
None
This looks pretty dang cool.

If you ever feel useless, just remember that Umaro has an MP stat.
  Find

Threads: 88
Thanks Received: 24
Thanks Given: 87
Status
None
nice work

I have the riding for Draco and the scholar I can take care of you man just send me a pm with your email and I'll send you the bin files

"Sometimes ninjas do wrong to each other, and in dat way the force of tha earf' comes around da moon - and at that presence, da dirt, it overshadows the grass, so you're like, I can't cut dis grass, there's no sun comin' through. So in order to enable each other the two fruits have to look each other in da eye and understand we can only be right, as da ripe is wrong, you know what I mean?"

-HNIC

Threads: 56
Thanks Received: 13
Thanks Given: 84
Status
Atma
Which actor's names are assigned to the 5 slots you managed to use? btw even just 5 extra npcs might be enough for my hack, i believe...

THE GREATEST CHALLENGE OF ALL TIMES AWAITS:
http://www.ff6hacking.com/forums/showthr...p?tid=2593
DO YOU HAVE WHAT IT TAKES TO SLAY A GOD?
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tenkarider's project #2 is started: FF6 Curse of the Madsiur Joke (CotMJ)
http://www.ff6hacking.com/forums/showthr...p?tid=2755
What happens when Madsiur tweaks your account? This full game hack will show that!
  Find

Status
Zombie
Doesn't matter what name, you set all of that in the character stats... that tab in ff3usME. There are several unused then several with ?????? as a name. All I did was "assign graphics # to character #" then assigned the palette to match. In the WoB, like in the case of the moogles, all your future PC are added to the roster assigned different graphics and stats(which includes name). The only restriction in doing that is when you assign the stats of your PC it is all reset to default values and level balanced. So you wouldn't want to de-recruit your pc, assign new stats then try to turn them dirrectly back to the PC.

That being said, if you reserve one pc slot for npc toons, you could swap them out all you want, or swap the guest slots out. Just change the assigned graphics via event as often as you want.

Gonna try something else on this today, see if I can't get the rest(or at least more of them) working.

Find