Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)
ROTDS beta testing

Threads: 98
Thanks Received: 147
Thanks Given: 158
Status
Nattak\'d
We were discussing this on the other forum as well, he does gain poison status for his regen, so Aqualin should be knocking it off. But it is not?

EDIT: Testing the battle here I was able to remove the poison regen with an Aqualin, so I hope it also does it there for you.

We are born, live, die and then do the same thing over again.

Threads: 5
Thanks Received: 1
Thanks Given: 2
Status
Medicated
<_<
Well, that turned out to be SUPER EASY.
*sigh* Embarrassing really.
So far I've been having a super blast with all these boss battles. Boss battles really make or break a game and these, in addition to all the other wonderful additions, really put a platinum stamp of approval on this mod.

Status
Nattak\'d
Thanks so much, this is wonderful to hear. =) Lord Envoy is working on some more custom bosses that will make it in before the actual release as well, and then a slew more most likely for the next version after that - there's still a ton of space for working on scripts, and like you say that's where the real bread and butter of a good RPG/game is, in the Boss fights. So I really hope to make use of the 40,000+ bytes there left over for the battlescripts lol.

Also in regards to the Lava Demon, I will have an NPC hint at using Aqualin to put out fires in that town lol, it's not much but at least then I can blame it on the player for not getting the hint or talking to NPCs XD I didn't think of it either to be honest until Lockirby brought it up.

Threads: 5
Thanks Received: 1
Thanks Given: 2
Status
Medicated
Minor graphical bug;
During the Golbez fight scenes, during into a pig (and possibly dying too) reverts the characters to their original color palettes and stick out like a sore thumb during the flash back scene.
Plus I think the first fight is poison-absorb which is hard to read because the damage/heal colors are almost identical.
Also; My characters are below level 25 still. Ha ha.

As for adding a hint about using Aqualin, you could try adding it to the "Inferno!" scene where the NPCs are casting spells. I sorta like the "Look, a dragon!" to escape bit though.
I generally find this to be one of the harder parts of the game because usually Locke and Terra are under leveled to my party compared to when they were in the MagiTek factory.

After the (Third, GOD!) Lava boss fight, I realized it was when it says "Lava is getting stronger" message that he gains regeneration. (And then also poisons the party?)

A big question is where are you finding a lot of these wonderful sprites? Some of them are from previous FF games (I think) but the lava boss looked completely unique to me. Or a heavily modified Lavos (Crono Trigger).
Generally I like to collect sprites for an eventually-maybe rom-hack of my own boss-fights.
(I've actually got this wicked ass giant dragon sprite I'm dying to use.)

Status
Nattak\'d
I got a lot of the majority of the sprites of Spriter's Resource. The Lava Demon is from: http://www.spriters-resource.com/ds/megamanzx/sheet/76/
(I wish I could add a couple more poses from that sheet when he gets weaker and weaker...)

And many of the other sprites are from Japanese websites and others sharing them with me. And a few of them like the Flameweaver and new Kefka monster sprite and the Prinny were done custom by James White, a spriter from this site.

Threads: 83
Thanks Received: 55
Thanks Given: 7
Status
Obliviscence
(07-02-2014, 02:25 AM)Gi Nattak Wrote: Thanks so much, this is wonderful to hear. =) Lord Envoy is working on some more custom bosses that will make it in before the actual release as well, and then a slew more most likely for the next version after that - there's still a ton of space for working on scripts, and like you say that's where the real bread and butter of a good RPG/game is, in the Boss fights. So I really hope to make use of the 40,000+ bytes there left over for the battlescripts lol.

I'll go ahead and put this here since this isn't public. I'm building a Monster AI Upgrade patch that's mostly complete which will greatly increase boss' options. It also includes a fully integrated 24-bit monster hp patch... but I can probably make a version that doesn't use that if it'll suit you better. It's mostly done, I'm making a demo patch boss to show off the features, then for the official patch I'll need to reorganize the data so it takes up the minimum amount required.

Heres a quick list of what's already built and working:

General Mechanic changes:
  • 24-bit monster HP patch by cklein0001 (bugfixed by myself)
  • ignore 50%,25%,12.5%,6.25% defense (independently selectable)

Script changes:
  • target front row
  • target back row
  • target highest HP
  • target lowest HP
  • target none (only works if the party or monsters have invalid targets)
  • change music
  • change background
  • enable/disable Fanatics / setup morph timer (long/short/permanent)
  • check status (major update including checking for stances like Row/Defend, and relic effects like Offering/True Knight)
  • if under or equal to high hp byte (for 24-bit monster HP)
  • Quick Detect
  • Script Branch bytes (used for "end-if and continue", else, looping, etc...)

Still to be coded:
  • remaining 24-bit HP bugfixes (healing, instant death, resurrection, script-based HP changes)
  • maybe a couple ideas the community comes up with.

I've never been in contact with Lord Envoy before, but it may be handy to pass this info along (assuming he's not monitoring the thread himself). You've been so helpful, Mike, I'd like to return the favor if it'll help your hack (even if it is REALLY late in the game).
  Find

Threads: 88
Thanks Received: 24
Thanks Given: 87
Status
None
this is some impressive stuff as alwasy Edrin, Lord Envoy is a personal friend of mine, I'll let him know about this and I'll even make him able to access this part of the site if Madsiur hasn't done so already

"Sometimes ninjas do wrong to each other, and in dat way the force of tha earf' comes around da moon - and at that presence, da dirt, it overshadows the grass, so you're like, I can't cut dis grass, there's no sun comin' through. So in order to enable each other the two fruits have to look each other in da eye and understand we can only be right, as da ripe is wrong, you know what I mean?"

-HNIC

Status
Nattak\'d
Holy crap! This is incredible stuff! This will evolve the battlescript field vastly. You done changed the game homie lol. Many of the features here are things I've wished that could be done many a time. I'm sure Lord Envoy will have a field day when this is ready, as will myself and I'm sure many others, what a huge step forward. It will most assuredly help with this hack - and thank you! You've been so helpful to me as well!

For the 24-bit HP code/patch, I did notice a bug that you may have already taken care of, but possibly not as it is a tricky one to catch - it's when you are fighting a group of monsters that have more than 4 monsters total in the formation (5-6), the last monster in spot 5-6 has 16,777,215 HP, or w/e the max is.

As for your patch here, will it require much free space anywhere? And a non-integrated 24-bit patch version might be a good idea as well. But would it do any harm if it IS integrated and I just don't use it? Oh, well I s'pose it would matter since it would change the maximum monster HP obviously... Thing is I will definitely use it eventually, but for now I'm not exactly ready for it.

Threads: 83
Thanks Received: 55
Thanks Given: 7
Status
Obliviscence
(07-02-2014, 02:24 PM)Gi Nattak Wrote: For the 24-bit HP code/patch, I did notice a bug that you may have already taken care of, but possibly not as it is a tricky one to catch - it's when you are fighting a group of monsters that have more than 4 monsters total in the formation (5-6), the last monster in spot 5-6 has 16,777,215 HP, or w/e the max is.

Yea, that's actually the only fix I've made so far. There was one bad branch that exited a function one monster early, so it would only check/set the first 5 and not the 6th. I need to hunker down and fix the others... at the very least healing needs to be done... I could potentially go without instant death and resurrection since most mobs that have that much HP probably aren't going to be using those functions.

(07-02-2014, 02:24 PM)Gi Nattak Wrote: As for your patch here, will it require much free space anywhere? And a non-integrated 24-bit patch version might be a good idea as well. But would it do any harm if it IS integrated and I just don't use it? Oh, well I s'pose it would matter since it would change the maximum monster HP obviously... Thing is I will definitely use it eventually, but for now I'm not exactly ready for it.

It does take up a fair amount of the already limited C2 space... not too much, but enough to be noticeable and C2 already tends to be a little cramped. So I will have to tailor it to your ROM specifically. It just so happens I have a copy =P. The code is pretty modular tho, so I can put pieces here and there as I have space.

Also the 24-bit monster HP patch uses a little space in C0, dunno what yours looks like. But so long as you have the space the patch uses cleared, there's no reason you can't put it in and just not use it, it won't break anything else so you can continue using the "health bar" method with the bosses you need over 65k HP on.
  Find

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 236
Thanks Given: 57
Status
Tissue-aware
(07-02-2014, 07:12 AM)Edrin Wrote: I'm building a Monster AI Upgrade patch that's mostly complete which will greatly increase boss' options.

I would be interested of having this patch as well once it is documented. I could adapt it to my hack because I already have changes in C2 that takes free space and in C0, C1 and C3 but I think your changes are mostly in C2.
  Find