Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
FF6 Android portraits

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 234
Thanks Given: 56
Status
Tissue-aware
I started playing the Android version of FFVI and tried to scale down the portraits to 40x40 and set them to 16 colors. Here's a sample with Locke, Terra and the guard portrait. I did that real quick but with some work and touch ups, I think the Android portraits could make a good replacement set in a hack.

Any thoughts?

Original portrait Scaled down portrait (40x40) 16 colors scaled down portrait
[Image: locke_zps72e32d9b.png] [Image: locke2_zpsf5ed8919.png] [Image: locke3_zps233a23a1.png]
[Image: guard1_zpse21cbf11.png] [Image: guard2_zps4bb278fb.png] [Image: guard3_zps980da91d.png]
[Image: terra_zps10e459e8.png] [Image: terra2_zps3c8883e4.png] [Image: terra3_zpse85d93ab.png]
  Find

Threads: 3
Thanks Received: 2
Thanks Given: 3
Status
None
That's pretty cool. Someone should do the same with the FFV ones.
  Find

Threads: 21
Thanks Received: 40
Thanks Given: 3
Status
Auto-life
My first thought is the palette compatibility. Probably, the graphics must be recolored for palette adjustments. If the available colors are narrow in usefulness, the graphics quality may decrease.
  Find

Threads: 20
Thanks Received: 2
Thanks Given: 4
Status
None
Wow, those portrait from the iOS version looks way better to the SNES version. I haven't seen the others, but I'm sure they are definitely better. I'm really liking those new portraits. It would be a new welcoming addition available to the FFVI hacking community.
  Find

Threads: 1
Thanks Received: 13
Thanks Given: 1
Status
None
If someone wants all the portraits of the android/ios port, I uploaded a pack here: http://www.mediafire.com/download/4ak31g...ndroid.rar

Credits to the guy who posted them on the final fantasy wikia.

[Image: SvEf6Yh.png]
  Find
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Xenovant for this post:
  • GrayShadows (04-07-2014)

Threads: 12
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 0
Status
Brave
What tools did you use for rescaling the size and reducing the colors and what was your process? I'd like to finish the rest of the portraits and share them here.
  Find

Threads: 44
Thanks Received: 22
Thanks Given: 17
Status
Imprisoned
http://www.computerhope.com/jargon/n/necropost.htm

use the shout box for simple questions on old threads. or join the discord please

The only limit is imagination. And 16 colors.. I guess 

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 234
Thanks Given: 56
Status
Tissue-aware
(02-21-2017, 12:10 PM)Timbo Wrote: What tools did you use for rescaling the size and reducing the colors and what was your process?

I use Gimp. The trick is to reframe the portrait to a multiple of 40 since SNES ones are 40x40. So let's say your iOS portrait is 170x170, you would resize the canvas (not resize the image) to 160x160 then resize the image to 40x40 using whatever filter that give best result (or none if that is the best looking).

Then after you change the color mode (Image -> mode) to Indexed and input 16 as number of colors. You can also remove the background with the "magic stick" tool by cutting the selection made with it. This is not mandatory as even if you have a white background, when importing the portrait this color should be used as transparency. Could be problematic with something like the Esper Terra since there is a lot of white, so removing the background in this case would be better.

Finally it's a matter of manually retouching the portrait with a 1px pen or brush to give it a SNES feel.

Have fun: https://www.spriters-resource.com/mobile...eet/67790/
  Find