Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Theme Music submissions thread

Threads: 83
Thanks Received: 55
Thanks Given: 7
Status
Obliviscence
Moving along! Things are going splendidly with the project and I am loving the participation we have been getting. Have a look at our 15th Man!

Background (Click to View)

[Image: imgshk.png]
[Image: imgshk.png]

Like all great heroes, our 15th Man will be needing theme music to properly set the mood of her adventures. As such, this thread will be for music submissions! Music may be custom or from any other source. However, all submissions need to have a midi readily available as that is the format we can use to import into FF6. If you plan to make a custom track, let me know if you need additional time for the composition, otherwise, like all threads, this will be open for a week.

Lets try to capture the essence of our 15th Man in song!

Happy Hacking!
  Find

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 234
Thanks Given: 56
Status
Tissue-aware
Seriously this will be an hard one. I have over 200 000 midi on my computer (I'm dead serious). Now it's time to listen to some music!

Well things went fast as I made my choice. I have chosen a sad song that reflects the torment of the character and what she has been through in her life. The melody does also brings some hope so I think it's a perfect match! I also had a midi of it*.

Listen to song

Download midi

* The midi needs a bit of tweaking, mainly to make an appropriate looping in game.
  Find

Threads: 98
Thanks Received: 147
Thanks Given: 156
Status
Nattak\'d
Yeah, boy... this is a hard one alright. There's a lot of epic songs out there that might fit well. I'm submitting this one here because it is very 'low key', nobody on Earth would likely know or remember it nowadays if they heard it. It also plays well into the sad motif, but is also somewhat mysterious and definitely works as an original-sounding character theme:

Everquest_Kelethin

It's from that ancient mmorpg, Everquest. It's a super easy one to implement also, just 4 channels & it doesn't need any tedious editing except just a few note length changes I see. Almost too easy...but that's okay!

ALSO, I think there should be a little more emphasis on what kind of midis are allowed/will work.
I would say to try and submit a midi that does not have over 8 channels (unless it can be edited down to 8 and still sound good), and also one that does not have a crap load of notes playing at the same time going on in multiple tracks. These are the 2 major prerequisites to keep in mind in order for it to be realistically implemented into the game.

This would of course require the submitter to look at it in a midi sequencer though and know a bit about musical notation... Well, I guess once the midi is submitted, me or whoever else that is 'in the know' can tell them if it is a possible one, or is just not going to happen and to pick another one? I wouldn't mind doing that.

We are born, live, die and then do the same thing over again.

Status
Obliviscence
For the time being, lets go ahead and let people post what they can find if they don't know, and we can check them out as they are posted.

Also, your link gets broken by the site, you need to go to http://www.vgmusic.com then do a search for Kelethin. Great track by the way. The intro sounds FF6.
  Find

Threads: 76
Thanks Received: 9
Thanks Given: 13
Status
None
Nice song Gi nattak!
I submit this song

http://www.mediafire.com/listen/qq2oihob.../15man.mid
  Find

Status
Obliviscence
That's pretty good Astaroth. What's it from? or is it original? It sounds like it would be a castle theme in the Dragon Quest series to me. And if there's any RPG series that competes with FF in my heart its DQ. Good stuff!
  Find

Threads: 11
Thanks Received: 22
Thanks Given: 13
Status
Double
Here's my submission:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqtsyCdIZ_A

This theme plays during flashbacks in a place which used to be wonderful but is now sad, so I feel it is fitting for the character, as it sort of reflects her life.

The cons are that:

a) I'm not sure if this is obscure/old enough to avoid anybody thinking "Hey, it's that song!" I don't play any games less mainstream than this, though...

b) There's no anger here, if the character is going to be angry during a cutscene. Then again, most of the other submissions are along these lines.

As I know virtually nothing about music, I've no clue about the feasibility of its implementation. I only notice two instruments, though, so I'd guess that it's doable.

Confused Moogles FTW

Threads: 98
Thanks Received: 147
Thanks Given: 156
Status
Nattak\'d
Here is how the song I submitted sounds like inside FFVI:
Everquest_Kelethin

I converted the spc to mp3 quality here obviously, but it sounds pretty much similar in-game.

We are born, live, die and then do the same thing over again.

Threads: 50
Thanks Received: 12
Thanks Given: 0
Status
None
Gi Nattak Wrote:Here is how the song I submitted sounds like inside FFVI:
Everquest_Kelethin

I converted the spc to mp3 quality here obviously, but it sounds pretty much similar in-game.

OMG! I'm totally sold on this! I think it is absolutely perfect! It is so melancholy, so tragic, so desperately searching for the good in a world that is so obviously cruel! It perfectly encaptures both the pain and the struggle for hope!

Something similar to this was playing in my head as I sprited this character. (Don't judge me, I create songs in my head to help motivate me).

Oh I second this.
  Find

[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to LordSutebenu for this post:
  • Gi Nattak (08-21-2013)

Threads: 7
Thanks Received: 1
Thanks Given: 4
Status
None
Hum... i just found an original composition made with FF6 sounds.... and its pretty freaking nice!

We could always ask the author?

[Image: rrj.gif]
  Find