* You voted for this item. Show Results

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Sprite Sheet Voting Thread

Threads: 83
Thanks Received: 55
Thanks Given: 7
Status
Obliviscence
Hey there guys! It's been a while since we entered a new phase of the project as I extended the sprite sheet submissions by a week. But we are getting back on track and jumping straight to polling with our 3 submissions.

So what does our 15th man look like? You decide!

First, let me remind you of what our spriters were aiming for... our 15 Man's concept and background:

Code:
The Implacable Experiment

This character is an individual who has had close contact with the Empire after being used for human (or esper) experimentation in the Magitek Facility and has taken on a grotesque appearance. This character is aware of their disturbing appearance and their primary drive is to seek vengeance against those who have wronged him/her and to see that they are brought to justice.

This character would work well in FF6 as they would serve to show the more cruel and inhumane side of the Gestahlian Empire, especially when you consider how much Terra's past is lacking in filling in the darker parts of the Empire's history. This character would also ideally have a somewhat strange fighting style which would vary from the other characters, they also by merit of being a Magitek experiment could have a natural magic learning list.

Code:
The Betrayed Young Citizen

Back history: This daughter of a South Figaro sailor was raised by a lonely old woman from Vector after the boat transporting her and her father sunk near the Southern Continent. She was then taken prisoner by the Empire in her teenage years after the old woman died an that Emperor Gestahl adopted a secret law to capture homeless [and unwanted] citizens for Magitek experimentations. During her captivity, she developed her hate towards the Empire that she was considering once her second home.

Possible encounters: She might have been in contact with Cid and/or Kefka and/or Celes during her captivity. She might also have been in contact with some Espers and talked with them. This all depends on how we want to develop her back story and the game events.

Pros:
- Rich backstory and relations with the actual characters of the game if we want any.
- Explain well why the character feels doubly betrayed by the Empire and explain her hatred.

Cons:
- Might require a lot of event creation, but isn't this the goal of this hack? ;)

Here are our submissions for sprite sheet.

By Astaroth:
[Image: k9t2ak2l559gyae4g.jpg]

By badass:
[Image: fqPWP9F.png]

By Lord Sutenbenu:
[Image: imgshk.png]

A note for our spriters: 2/3 of these submissions are unfinished, Please continue to work on your sprites. Should your submission win, you will be required to provide the full sprite sheet within a reasonable amount of time (something we can discuss later). If you can update your original links, please do so, otherwise post them in the thread and I will update the original post.

Happy Hacking!
  Find

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 234
Thanks Given: 56
Status
Tissue-aware
@Edrin: You're the one managing this but I thought voting for our own submission was denied...
  Find

Threads: 83
Thanks Received: 55
Thanks Given: 7
Status
Obliviscence
Nope, there was talk about it early in the project and the general consensus was that a lot of people personally wouldn't vote for their own work, but it was never made into a rule. I don't have a problem with it when there are a significantly larger number of voters than options.
  Find

Threads: 76
Thanks Received: 9
Thanks Given: 13
Status
None
I voted for sutebenu because I find that his sprite representie very well the description of the character. I like the details which you puts in your sprites. Also, good work Badass, you also made a very good sprite.
  Find

Threads: 50
Thanks Received: 12
Thanks Given: 0
Status
None
I updated the post with an additional three sprites (took me freakin' forever to get the hair right); figured since I could do it myself, there was hardly a point in making you do it, lol.

And I'll be frank about this:

The person who voted for their own submission that Madsiur mentioned, was me.

I didn't do it out of some arbitrary desire to win this vote; here is the reason why I didn't vote for the other two submissions:

1. Astaroth's: Though a good sprite, requiring a little more work to be a perfect one. It does not really show how she was an experiment and had her person become grotesque or appearance damaged. She looks to me like a scantily clad, graceful ninja. She, in sprite form, appears to "beautiful" to be a damaged and grotesque experiment.

2. Badass': I liked the concept for what it was, she has certainly become more esper/monster than human. I think that fits the theme very well, and would undoubtedly lead to her vengeful nature against the Ghestalian Empire. However, the problem I take with this particular sprite is that it does not fit the "style" of Final Fantasy VI. I think she would look particularly out of place in the game itself. She reminds me more of a Summon Night, or maybe even a FFTA, or possibly Chrono Trigger-esque style. While each distinctive and good, they aren't exactly similar to Final Fantasy VI.

Now make no mistake, I am not saying that my character is perfect. Given her detail, she may very well stick out like a sore thumb too. Each artist has their own style, my style is definitely different from the original spriter. I just felt that given the options, it happened that my sprite work best exemplified what was asked for. I apologize if that makes me come off as high handed, stuck-up, or even cocky, that is not my intention.
  Find

Threads: 49
Thanks Received: 15
Thanks Given: 11
Status
Mental-Break
[Image: fqPWP9F.png] oh heres a lil update in case people were wondering what some poses would look like. Copied poco's sword sprite and threw it in her casting pose Wink .
  Find

Threads: 11
Thanks Received: 22
Thanks Given: 13
Status
Double
(08-14-2013, 01:18 AM)Lord Sutebenu Wrote: I apologize if that makes me come off as high handed, stuck-up, or even cocky, that is not my intention.

It might not be my place to say, but I really don't feel that it made you come off like that at all. I figured that you had reasons for making your choice (which weren't unsimilar to my own reasons for voting for you), and I really don't see you giving yourself a vote just for the sake of "winning" or inflating an ego.

I'm not even sure if you'll see this, but...

Confused Moogles FTW

Status
None
Thank you very much Lockirby, I am happy to see that I did not come off that way.

In any case, I have luckily avoided losing my internet (but have been working between 9-13 hour shifts) but here is an update on my sprite: (I've already put it into the original post)

[Image: imgshk.png]
  Find

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 234
Thanks Given: 56
Status
Tissue-aware
(08-17-2013, 01:07 AM)Lord Sutebenu Wrote: In any case, I have luckily avoided losing my internet (but have been working between 9-13 hour shifts) but here is an update on my sprite: (I've already put it into the original post)

The problem I see with this sprite is that it will show the horn when she walks left or right...
  Find

Status
None
Yes, I had intended for that. I wanted to make sure her grotesque appearance is clearly visible at almost all times. Even if I had rid the horn, the purple eye and skin mutation would still be seen. This is something I had decided to do, to use the limitation on sprites to my advantage by making sure you see just how twisted and warped she has become as much as possible.

It was intentional.
  Find