Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Character History Submissions Thread

Threads: 83
Thanks Received: 55
Thanks Given: 7
Status
Obliviscence
Welcome to the Character History submissions thread in The 15th Man Project! Before posting, please read the Rules and Overview.

Code:
The Implacable Experiment

This character is an individual who has had close contact with the Empire after being used for human (or esper) experimentation in the Magitek Facility and has taken on a grotesque appearance. This character is aware of their disturbing appearance and their primary drive is to seek vengeance against those who have wronged him/her and to see that they are brought to justice.

This character would work well in FF6 as they would serve to show the more cruel and inhumane side of the Gestahlian Empire, especially when you consider how much Terra's past is lacking in filling in the darker parts of the Empire's history. This character would also ideally have a somewhat strange fighting style which would vary from the other characters, they also by merit of being a Magitek experiment could have a natural magic learning list.

With this idea in mind, the Submissions this round go to explaining the character's backstory, including hometown, gender, and a brief history that falls in line with the character concept. This history should bring us up to the events of FF6, but should not include where/how the party meets our 15th Man. There should be enough leeway that we can keep such details fluid for later portions of of project where practicality becomes more important.

Unlike the concept poll, you do not need to name your submission, however you should make very clear that you are making a submission in your post and not creating discussion.

Now get to it! I am really excited about hearing what the creative minds of this forum can come up with. There is a lot of potential in this idea and bringing it to life will deepen the world of FF6 for us all. Feel free to interact with each others' ideas, but as always, try to be positive.

Happy Hacking.
  Find

Threads: 11
Thanks Received: 22
Thanks Given: 13
Status
Double
Here's my idea:

--------------------------------------------------------

Gender: Female -> There's 10 male characters in FF6, and 3 female ones. My OCD is telling me to even out these numbers Hit. Furthermore, this character would serve as sharp contrast to pretty much every other female character in video games (especially FF) who are ridiculously fan-servicey.

Hometown: Miranda

Backstory: This character, [name], started out as the leader of a small group of elite forces that were the defense of Miranda before the Imperial Army took over the cities on the southern continent. This small force was able to fend off the more numerous opposition for quite a while before General Celes was sent to torch the city. With the power of Magic, something this small force was not trained to deal with, Miranda was quickly taken. However, [name] survived, and Celes was so impressed with her tactical and fighting ability that she took [name] to the empire to be magically augmented (The original plan was to use a Slave Crown to control her if she decided not to co-operate). However, unbeknownst to everybody involved (even after all of these events unfold), Kefka decided to have a little "fun" with the conversion process, causing many physical deformations to occur. The failure of this augmenting horrifies Celes, partly because she feels responsible for it, and it disillusions her to the empire. She helps [name] to escape, but is branded a traitor for it. [name]'s story picks up when the party meets her, which will be determined later.

Pros:
-Explains why Celes became a traitor, and gives [name] a connection to at least one party member. It is a fairly deep connection, too, as there are a decent amount of both positive and negative emotions flowing between them.
-Sets up a scene where Kefka reveals that he was the one who tampered with the augmenting process. This will also give [name] a personal hatred for Kefka, and not just the empire.
-Definitely shows the cruelty of the Empire, which is what we were going for.

Cons:
-The elite group defending Miranda had no presence in the original story.
(it's harder to see cons in your own stuff Finger)

@Edrin I know you said that we didn't need a name for it, but I want to give it one anyways, so that others can quickly sum up and mention the idea without saying "that idea with Miranda and Celes" or "Lockirby's idea". I will name my idea Miranda Captured.

--------------------------------------------------------

Is there going to be a separate poll for Gender and Hometown/Backstory? Hometown and backstory might be intrinsically linked, but this idea (and probably most) could have worked just as well with a male character as a female one. It seems like it should be decided separately IMO.

Confused Moogles FTW

Threads: 11
Thanks Received: 6
Thanks Given: 0
Status
None
Hah, LockKirby you took a lot of my idea already and put it out down, but I suppose I'll post mine for the subtle differences.

-----------------------------------------------

Gender: Doesn't really matter. I personally feel that this character might be better as a male, but like LockKirby I find the lack of females in this game, and the general fan-servicey treatment of female characters in FF games to be a bit strange.

Hometown: I was also thinking Maranda.

Backstory: This character will have been conscripted into the Gestahlian Empire's Army after the occupation of Maranda. After being forced to serve as a soldier this character begins to become guilt ridden and tries to escape. S/he is caught attempting dessertion and is taken back to Vector to serve their time in other ways. While there the character undergoes a drastic and experimental form of Magitek augmentation by an ambivalent Cid under the hostile supervision of Kefka. The party may encounter this character a couple times before s/he is recruited, but at least one encounter in the Magitek facility seems like it would be required, most likely with them discovering and releasing him/her from the facility.

Pros to this story:
-Displays military occupation by the Gestahlian Empire as being much more disruptive and evil to people's lives.
-Shows how the Empire creates consequences and punishments for those who oppose them, and how heavy handed they can be. This also serves as a foil to show how noble the Returners cause really is.
-Makes Cid's turning on the Empire seem less capricious and sudden, also allows for exploring his character more as he may be wracked with guilt over his part in ruining individual's lives and using his discoveries to propagate the banality of evil. (This also leads into a potential WoR sidestory.)

Cons:
-May require making a few extra sprites and events to display the past events.

For purposes of deciding things we will call this story The Desertion.

-----------------------------------------------

Yes LockKirby it is very difficult to see cons in your own stuff, hah.
  Find

Threads: 7
Thanks Received: 1
Thanks Given: 4
Status
None
This is just a bunch of ideas, take or remove what you wantTongue
----------------------------------------
Iron Thamasian
Hometown: Thamasa

Acting as a scout for the Thamasian, she joined the empire when she heard the empire "found" magic. Thinking her village could be in danger. However, she was caught spying on the research and was one of the first to be experimented on. Because of her Thamasian origin or Kefka's need for vengeance, it didnt go as planned. The first encounter with the party could be as she escape, and she would just plow through the party and just leave.
But she would reappear when Kefka attack Thamasa. The party would then learn that her life is linked to her magic (0 mp = death?). A little bit like... [Image: imgshk.png]
But seriously, the first magitek armor could have been bionics and require magicite to fuel it.
Edit: Also, a deformed character is a good pretext to have an hidden identity...
----------------------------------------

[Image: rrj.gif]
  Find

Threads: 83
Thanks Received: 55
Thanks Given: 7
Status
Obliviscence
With only three submissions we will end up going straight to a poll on Monday unless more people pitch in. I like what we have so far, keep it up guys!
  Find

Threads: 88
Thanks Received: 24
Thanks Given: 87
Status
None
hey daemoth can you please re size that image? its way too big

thank you

"Sometimes ninjas do wrong to each other, and in dat way the force of tha earf' comes around da moon - and at that presence, da dirt, it overshadows the grass, so you're like, I can't cut dis grass, there's no sun comin' through. So in order to enable each other the two fruits have to look each other in da eye and understand we can only be right, as da ripe is wrong, you know what I mean?"

-HNIC

Threads: 7
Thanks Received: 1
Thanks Given: 4
Status
None
Sure, i thought it was ok with the autoresize thingy.

[Image: rrj.gif]
  Find

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 234
Thanks Given: 56
Status
Tissue-aware
Last minutes submission:

Back history: This daughter of a [maybe South Figaro] sailor was raised by a Vector [or Albrook] lonely old woman after the boat transporting her and her father sunk near the Southern Continent. She was then taken prisoner by the Empire in her teenage years after the old woman died an that Emperor Gestahl adopted a secret law to capture homeless [and unwanted] citizens for Magitek experimentations. During her captivity, she developed her hate towards the Empire that she was considering once her second home.

Possible encounters: She might have been in contact with Cid and/or Kefka and/or Celes during her captivity. She might also have been in contact with some Espers and talked with them. This all depends on how we want to develop her back story and the game events.

Pros:
- Rich backstory and relations with the actual characters of the game if we want any.
- Explain well why the character feels doubly betrayed by the Empire and explain her hatred.

Cons:
- Might require a lot of event creation, but isn't this the goal of this hack? ;)

I will name this submission ''The Betrayed young citizen''.
  Find

Threads: 88
Thanks Received: 24
Thanks Given: 87
Status
None
nice one madsiur

"Sometimes ninjas do wrong to each other, and in dat way the force of tha earf' comes around da moon - and at that presence, da dirt, it overshadows the grass, so you're like, I can't cut dis grass, there's no sun comin' through. So in order to enable each other the two fruits have to look each other in da eye and understand we can only be right, as da ripe is wrong, you know what I mean?"

-HNIC

Threads: 0
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 0
Status
None
I'll try to get an idea fleshed out before Monday. Hopefully....

"The Mind that lies fallow but a single Day, sprouts up in Follies that are only to be killed by a constant and assiduous Culture."
- Joseph Addison, "The Spectator"  Confused
  Find