Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Something that occurred to me

Threads: 13
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 6
Status
Crystal
I have a few questions that just came to mind earlier today and I just want to get some feedback. So allow me to simply ask, wouldn't it be more appropriate to refer to this forum as a modding forum? Since most of the hacks are the generation would consider modding by today's standards? I realize that this may sound politically correct in asserting though it does seem a little more positive to refer to this forum as a modding domain. Even though 10+ years this was considered hacking because back then few people could accomplish it. Square Enix doesn't really seem to acknowledge the game hackers approvingly, or disapprovingly. My second question on that thought is, wouldn't it be nice if Square Enix actually acknowledged the modding community favorable and gave those of you who modded a chance to mod the game as you saw fit? In asking this I also acknowledge that not everyone is going to jump on the modding band-wagon and mod future Square Enix games. Even though Final Fantasy 6 & 7 are both heavily modded titles from Square Enix.
  Find

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 236
Thanks Given: 58
Status
Tissue-aware
Modding and hacking a console game (SNES, PSX, PS2, etc...) are two terms that describe the same thing. It means alter the code or data of a game to gain an advantage or simply modify it to have a different game. Although modern games hacks use more the term modding, ROM hacking is the term that is still commonly used among the community for cartridge mods (SNES, GB, GBA, NES). Because of that, I think we should stick with the ''hacking'' term even if we do mods. In reality, using an editor or drawing sprite have nothing to do with the common definition of ''hacking''. Still ROM hacking is illegal (correct me if I'm wrong) but it's tolerated by the game industry with older games and this is part of the definition of ''hacking''.

For your second answer, I think game developers will never acknowledge modding on recent games.
  Find

[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to madsiur for this post:
  • Abel.Emporia (06-25-2013)

Threads: 13
Thanks Given: 6
Status
Crystal
Good reply on your part, I figured it was worth asking. The reason I ask is because I am weary of Squeenix acknowledging this place, only to have a C&D order placed against it. Theoretically I am not sure what kind of legal treatment this forum would get. Though I remember a few years ago that a non-profit game like Final Fantasy Legacy was shut down, and they were using hacks and mods of the game as well. So I believe this forum is semi-hidden, but I don't really know.
  Find

Threads: 2
Thanks Given: 2
Status
None
C&Ds are merely to make you quit under threat of legal action. Technically, this forum is unable to be prosecuted (this is a learning/non profit environment) and so are most fan projects, according to US law. Most works would be considered fair use.
  Find