Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
FF6 "Choose your own Adventure" style

Threads: 250
Thanks Received: 11
Thanks Given: 7
Status
Traitor
Lockirby2, a lot of projects threads are created on this site and not many of them get out of the development phase. I think a lot of people are hoping you will complete this, that's why they may be so willing to help.

Find

Threads: 6
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 0
Status
None
(03-05-2013, 04:12 PM)Lockirby2 Wrote: I'm planning on making instant death through your choices of route impossible or close to it. This is because the choices will not be based around survival, but accomplishing goals or making moral decisions instead. Some endings may be worse than others though...

I wouldn't mind some humorous "game over"/death scenes; those were always my favorite part of the CYOA series. Besides, the very coding of FF6 prevents you from losing your progress (experience wise, anyway). I'm thinking back to "Radiant Historia," a fairly fun DS game that had a great mixture of funny and sad endings for "bad" endings, but always gave you the chance to go back and change your decision. So it may be worth trying. A wrong decision where Ultros somehow takes over the world would be particularly hilarious. XD

(03-07-2013, 12:45 PM)Zeemis Wrote: Lockirby2, a lot of projects threads are created on this site and not many of them get out of the development phase. I think a lot of people are hoping you will complete this, that's why they may be so willing to help.

^This. If it were within my power, I would pay you to do this project; it's a fun idea and could literally lead in many directions for so many of us who have our own fun ideas.

Personally, I think it'd be a great way for the members of this site to help collaborate on such an epic endeavor. I wouldn't want to overstep boundaries or anything -- it's YOUR pet project -- but as Zeemis said, the fact that everyone is willing to help you should convince you that the mere idea is awesome. Smile
  Find

Threads: 11
Thanks Received: 22
Thanks Given: 13
Status
Double
(03-08-2013, 11:45 AM)Capt. Catchphrase Wrote:
(03-05-2013, 04:12 PM)Lockirby2 Wrote: I'm planning on making instant death through your choices of route impossible or close to it. This is because the choices will not be based around survival, but accomplishing goals or making moral decisions instead. Some endings may be worse than others though...

I wouldn't mind some humorous "game over"/death scenes; those were always my favorite part of the CYOA series. Besides, the very coding of FF6 prevents you from losing your progress (experience wise, anyway). I'm thinking back to "Radiant Historia," a fairly fun DS game that had a great mixture of funny and sad endings for "bad" endings, but always gave you the chance to go back and change your decision. So it may be worth trying. A wrong decision where Ultros somehow takes over the world would be particularly hilarious. XD
Now that you mention it, I really should throw in some death options purely for humorous effect. Laugh I'll still won't make them hard to dodge; I'll make them complete schmuck bait, Forum Fantasy (an RPG Maker game you can download) style, mostly because I don't want to make players afraid of dying on a real choice. In a real CYOA novel it's hilarious to see the death and then flip back to the page you were just on to continue, but it would suck for those who don't use save states to be forced back to the beginning of a long dungeon just because of a small mistake. Or I could try using something where the game pretty much goes into rewind and says "but that didn't happen," but only if it fits the tone at the time.

Confused Moogles FTW

Threads: 41
Thanks Received: 16
Thanks Given: 12
Status
None
(03-08-2013, 11:45 AM)Capt. Catchphrase Wrote:
(03-05-2013, 04:12 PM)Lockirby2 Wrote: ^This. If it were within my power, I would pay you to do this project; it's a fun idea and could literally lead in many directions for so many of us who have our own fun ideas.
Personally, I think it'd be a great way for the members of this site to help collaborate on such an epic endeavor. I wouldn't want to overstep boundaries or anything -- it's YOUR pet project -- but as Zeemis said, the fact that everyone is willing to help you should convince you that the mere idea is awesome. Smile
I can speak for all moderators and admins here when I say that we like it when new hackers come in and share their ideas. Past experience shows however that people lose interest and motivation to work on their hacks due to many reasons. Either people need to take care of their personal lives, or it is just that people give up when they realize that they need to learn ASM and spend an enormous amount of time in order to do what they visualize. Sometimes people are unwilling to learn, or even try to open the hex editor. Sometimes people disappear and we never hear of them again.

Madsiur proposed a community hack not too long ago, and I believe the project eventually died. (Correct me if I am mistaken).
Nonetheless, It is motivating to see capable people propose cool hack ideas such as this one Tongue

Status
Double
Thankfully, I've thought through much of what I want my hack to accomplish, and I believe I've planned it out to realistically be doable without major ASM hacking. I'm fairly confident that I know the limits of what this game can accomplish, and I'm working to stay within those limits. Not that I'm opposed to learning ASM if need be, but that would be a huge technical step up at this point. I also have an idea of how much effort this will take, so I'm under no illusions about that. Going through this site for a while, I saw a lot of larger hacks that died out at some point, so I'm hoping not to add to that pile. Smile
Don't worry about my personal life either; I don't have one Tongue

Confused Moogles FTW

Threads: 98
Thanks Received: 147
Thanks Given: 156
Status
Nattak\'d
I just thought I'd say that I love the conception of this hack very much, I enjoyed the choose your path books growing up as well, and games like King's Quest that use cause and effect events like that. Already looking forward to this one. =) Oh, and I owe you for the new overworld map(s) so if you need any help with stuff, or whatever, hit me up buddy!

We are born, live, die and then do the same thing over again.

Status
Double
Well, this is hardly going to make screenshot of the month, but I've completed my basic planning for the hack! In the interest of not giving away the entire plot(s), I've blacked everything out except for the beginning portion (Not that I think it matters; given the quality of my writing I don't believe that anybody would be able to read it anyways Laugh ). I tried to make it as intricate as possible with many different paths to choose, but also many ways to arrive into many particular scenarios, albeit with different stats, items, party members and classes? picked up along the way.

https://www.ff6hacking.com/misc/imgshk.png/

This is pretty hard to see Hmm , but if you zoom in you can make some of it out...

The coloured squares and circles are markers for where two plot threads join up. Or just the transition between two pages.

I decided to strictly limit the true endings you could arrive at to ten, as I wanted to make the endings each satisfying in their own way. I figure that if I tried to allow the game to end at too many points, it would end up being either "and then Kefka died for this reason" or "and then you solved this minor problem and lived a long and happy life 0:-) *blatently ignores more important things like the world exploding*". Some endings are harder to arrive at than others, and there is a "Golden" ending in addition to these ten, which would be virtually impossible to arrive at in one playthrough. I have some ideas for that one which may or may not work out.

I'll get around to the starting the actual editing fairly soon, so that I'll have something more interesting to show for myself than circles, lines and blacked out squares (that are hard to see to boot).

Confused Moogles FTW

Threads: 250
Thanks Received: 11
Thanks Given: 7
Status
Traitor
Any progress on this hack?
  Find

Status
Double
No hex just yet, but I've finished the majority of the planning (I wanted to know where everything is going before jumping into it). It should make the rest of the process go slightly faster.

Confused Moogles FTW

Threads: 25
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 0
Status
None
Hey, you probably don't know me, and that's fine 'n all, but I'm a remnant of the past from when this site was just starting, and I have a suggestion for your hack that would make things probably a million times easier...

Instead of rewriting the code so that you could introduce more choices into the game; why not just script the events and make every event possible but only allow the dialogue to show the options?

For example:
Say your protagonist is talking to some stranger, and he has an option that goes like this:
Will you go to West Town to save your friend, or will you go to the Evil Cave to save your family?
West Town
Evil Cave

And say you select West Town. Both the events for West Town and the Evil Cave are scripted into the game, and can occur regardless of the protagonist's choice, however the dialogue, based on the option chosen, steers the protagonist towards the event selected (say only provides info on the event for West Town)

You get what I'm suggesting?
Anyways, yeah, just a suggestion...I'd totally understand if you would want to make a solid, legit hack that has no holes, but if that's your goal, seriously, good luck Smile

Whelp. I still remember this place 13 years since first joining   Laugh
  Find