Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Final Fantasy VI Advance Editor

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 236
Thanks Given: 58
Status
Tissue-aware
(07-06-2013, 02:54 AM)Joe73ffdq Wrote: Natural magic growth on level ups for Terra and Celes. Also, is there a way to give other characters natural magic growth.

I haven't found yet those two lists and it's not a priority for me at the moment. Adding a third natural magic learner falls into ARM hacking so it's not a planned feature of the editor.

(07-06-2013, 02:54 AM)Joe73ffdq Wrote: Script editing, and map editing.

Script and text editing will make it probably in the next release but you probably won't be able to add more entries because I'm not planning for now to give the option of moving the data.

As for map editing, there is still too much unknown data to make something comparable to FF6LE. What will most likely happens if I found all the data is a FF6LE conversion to the GBA version.

(07-06-2013, 02:54 AM)Joe73ffdq Wrote: Sprite editing for equipment so I can create my own. I want to give Gau a fight command, but I want him to have his own weapon set instead of just giving him claws.

An equipment sprite editor is something I would like to see someday. Because each equipment piece is made of several tiles, which are not always consecutive, it might take time to figure out and implement but it's definitely something I will try to add, just not in the next release.

(07-06-2013, 12:15 PM)Marketa Lazarova Wrote: Out of curiosity, are Evade and M Block handled differently in FF6A from the original?

They are probably handled the same way but I don't have a disassembly of the ARM code of the game. Even if you change those value, you still have only 11 different values on the same byte in the item data. If you want to expand this number, it falls into ARM hacking.
  Find

[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to madsiur for this post:
  • Joe73ffdq (07-07-2013)

Threads: 0
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 1
Status
None
Thanks for all the answers.

This is a game that I was hoping an editor would come out for eventually. Its my personal favorite FF game along with FF4.

This version has a bestiary and extra content, which makes it worth the effort to try and make a good hack. The map option isnt too big of a deal to me, but it would offer a new experience in a hack. Magic can be learned from items, so natural magic isnt too big of a deal, although it would be nice. It looks like your next release will have everything I need except battle formations. This is an edit as you play through type of game to get things right, so I can just make notes as to where monsters would need to be added.

Is there an estimate for when the next release is?

Also, I was wondering what features are planned for future releases that havent been mentioned yet?
  Find

Status
Tissue-aware
(07-07-2013, 12:41 AM)Joe73ffdq Wrote: Is there an estimate for when the next release is?

No, but I'm making sure I do things right the first time. There is a great learning curve learning WPF compared to WinForms but it should pay in the long term. So far I have build a small library to deal with WriteableBitmaps in WPF which will be use for anything graphic related. I also added the code to convert GBA binary into bitmaps and palettes and I started the portrait editor which will serve as a base for a monster and Esper editor. Next step will be adapt the existing editors in the new one (this will go fast) and adding small stuff like monster drops and steal items. Finally will come the renaming option for every text and dialogue editor, the biggest chunk. I can't tell how long this will take.

I took a small break recently so things are not going as fast as I planned. In the long term, I'm planning to make the editor as much functional as FF3usME and add extra feature such as weapon graphics, but this always depends if I locate the data in the ROM.
  Find

Threads: 4
Thanks Given: 0
Status
None
Quote:They are probably handled the same way but I don't have a disassembly of the ARM code of the game. Even if you change those value, you still have only 11 different values on the same byte in the item data. If you want to expand this number, it falls into ARM hacking.

I see. Then theoretically, it should be possible to create a function in the program to edit both the text and the actual values of the 11? Its obviously not something that should be top priority, but it does seem like it could be done without too much difficulty, and would allow hackers the opportunity to play with and re-think those values.
  Find

Status
Tissue-aware
(07-07-2013, 08:29 AM)Marketa Lazarova Wrote: theoretically, it should be possible to create a function in the program to edit both the text and the actual values of the 11? Its obviously not something that should be top priority, but it does seem like it could be done without too much difficulty, and would allow hackers the opportunity to play with and re-think those values.

You're right it's really easy to do. I'll do it if I find the equivalent of the C2 table in the GBA rom.
  Find

Status
None
Keep up the good work. I have a template for what my hack will look like. Having made a partial hack with FFusME, I have a good idea of what the values for each item should be. I just need enemy drop/steal options to do a play and hack runthrough. If your next release also has script and item renaming, that would be awesome. Considering how long it takes to edit everything, I will be busy enough between now and your next release, and have a base established.

I wish I knew how to do more than just simple hex editing, because this would be a fun game to pick apart. Giving everybody natural magic of their own, fixed stat growth at level up instead of from espers, expanding above 65535 hp for enemies, and evade/Mevade options other than just multiples of ten, would be things I would try to program.
  Find

Status
Tissue-aware
(07-07-2013, 10:57 PM)Joe73ffdq Wrote: I wish I knew how to do more than just simple hex editing, because this would be a fun game to pick apart. Giving everybody natural magic of their own, fixed stat growth at level up instead of from espers, expanding above 65535 hp for enemies, and evade/Mevade options other than just multiples of ten, would be things I would try to program.

The data is the same in the SNES and GBA version (except for palettes and graphics) so it's easy to find with hex searches. The thing is for code hacks there is a lack of disassemblies for the GBA version and the GBA use ARM language which is not the same as the SNES 65816 ASM.
  Find

Status
None
I actually know very little about how this stuff works. If I know the adresses when I open up hex workshop, I can modify basic things. Other than that, its miles an miles of numbers that make no sense to me. Im obsessed with trying to figure out Dragon Warrior 2 NES right now (because its horribly imbalanced), and Im only able to modify a few things based on locations that are revealed. Trying to find bit locations manually would take forever.

Using editors is relatively easy, except for graphic, map, item/object placement, ect, which takes patience to figure out. RPG's are fun to use editors on, because its mostly about changing numbers, and playing through as you edit to make sure there is a good balance.

Am I using the right method with hex workshop, or is there a better/simpler way to access/change raw rom data?

Thanks again, and Im definately having a lot of fun with your editor so far.
  Find

Status
Tissue-aware
(07-05-2013, 09:41 AM)Madsiur Wrote: Am I using the right method with hex workshop, or is there a better/simpler way to access/change raw rom data?

Well Hex editors are the most basic (and reliable) tools to edit the data of a ROM. But if you change code, an assembler can simplify your life.
  Find

Thanks Given: 0
Status
None
I am just starting FFVI/III editing as a new hobby.

Is it feasible for you to create a magic assignment system? One of my first ideas for customizing the game was to give certain spells to only certain characters. With the current editor there are a few roundabout ways to do this, but I think it would be a great idea to add a checkbox menu that would allow editors to assign spells as they like.Hmm
  Find