Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
FF6: Is the Best Game Ever (Gameplay/some Graphics)

Threads: 3
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 0
Status
None
I updated the game with some new features and some tweaking to balance things more.
  Find

Threads: 19
Thanks Received: 2
Thanks Given: 15
Status
None
Is there a way to implement FF6 uncensored woolsey edition (by rodimus primal) on top of this? I like all those spell name changes (Firaga, Blizzaga, etc) but can't put them via LordJ's multi-editor.
  Find

Threads: 98
Thanks Received: 147
Thanks Given: 156
Status
Nattak\'d
Hi there, and welcome.

So have you tried patching the uncensored woolsey edition over this hack yet to see?

This patch here is what is responsible for the spell name changes etc., if patching over with the uncensored woolsey hack doesn't work you might want to try patching over with this: https://www.ff6hacking.com/forums/showth...p?tid=1127

I'm not sure what all changes this hack (best game ever) has so I'm not sure if anything conflicts that is important, I suppose only the author of the hack knows. You could check by patching one of them over a clean rom and doing a patch report, then do the same for the other and then compare reports to see if anything important it conflicting. Just make sure if/when you patch over this hack with one that you take the header into account first, meaning just make sure if one of the patches needs a header, than this hack should also have a header - some patches require headers, others don't you see. So just make sure you are patching correctly.

I'd imagine though that this hack here (best game ever) would be fine to patch over with other said patches, but not positive.

We are born, live, die and then do the same thing over again.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Gi Nattak for this post:
  • FF6Fanatic (07-19-2015)

Status
None
Hello, thanks for replying.

Angelo's hack requires a headered rom, but I can't find one. I used NSRT to apply a header to the original unheadered rom. Then I applied the names patch, then opened the rom in FF3usme. Nothing had changed.

I also tried using the names patch on top of the 'best ever' one. It didn't work, headered or not.

BUT...

Looking at Angelo's thread, I wonder if I can find the address for the letter limit of spells. He notes the following:

C3/4FB5: A00700 LDY #$0007 (spell letter length)

I opened the original unpatched, unheadered rom in WindHex but couldn't find anything similar.

What I'm thinking is, if I could extend the limit for spells names manually in WindHex, maybe then I can rename them to my liking in FF3usme. That sounds like a better option to me, since I'll have more control of what changes to make or not. Do you think that's doable?
  Find

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 234
Thanks Given: 56
Status
Tissue-aware
(07-18-2015, 10:51 PM)FF6Fanatic Wrote: What I'm thinking is, if I could extend the limit for spells names manually in WindHex, maybe then I can rename them to my liking in FF3usme.

I'm pretty sure FF3usME won't allow renaming past the original length. You'll need to edit the spell names with WindHex and the using the FF3us table. Also, there might be more than one occurence of the said length in the code.
  Find
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to madsiur for this post:
  • FF6Fanatic (07-19-2015)

Status
None
I see. I feared as much... I don't really understand all that code, or the tables. Well, at least now I know what to do. Thanks.

Edit: Btw, is it possible to increase the level cap? Like maybe lv.999 or similar. Just wondering. :p
  Find

Threads: 18
Thanks Received: 12
Thanks Given: 8
Status
None
(07-19-2015, 08:16 AM)FF6Fanatic Wrote: I see. I feared as much... I don't really understand all that code, or the tables. Well, at least now I know what to do. Thanks.

Edit: Btw, is it possible to increase the level cap? Like maybe lv.999 or similar. Just wondering. :p

Level is an 8-bit number, so you could increase the level cap to 255 fairly easily, but there are some caveats. You'd have to relocate and expand the experience tables, too. Note that Exp caps out at 15 million.

Not to mention that the damage formulas are not designed for such high levels and would overflow (or cap out, if you applied the damage overflow fixes). Damage overflows (or caps out) at 65535, so you'd have to lower other factors to compensate for the high level, unless you'd also want to expand the maximum possible damage... in which case you'd probably want to adjust maximum possible Defense and HP. Your proposal is not impossible but requires pretty much a rewrite of the entire battle engine. :p
  Find

Threads: 4
Thanks Received: 4
Thanks Given: 1
Status
None
I'm pretty sure the high bit of the level value is used for something, but I forget what. It'd cap at 127.
  Find