Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Breath of Fire 2 SPC hacking

Threads: 11
Thanks Received: 2
Thanks Given: 4
Status
None
(08-09-2012, 04:58 PM)Gi Nattak Wrote: SPC files hex data is not even close to being the same as the actual song data. It would need to be converted first in order to search for it in the ROM, and unfortunately there's no such program that does this. ;(

The 'simplest' way would be to locate the song pointers and just change the one in question to the other one.

Exactly, since this NPC triggers an event that swaps the pointers in the ROM itself. Pinpointing it would be a real PITA to say the least. Unfortunately, no one has accepted the challenge to do so.
  Find

Threads: 98
Thanks Received: 147
Thanks Given: 156
Status
Nattak\'d
I can probably find the song pointers, since I know what they will look like and would hopefully be located right above or around the instruments. Yes, there's a ton of ROM to search through, but there's ways of narrowing it down a lot. I'll give it a shot tomorrow.

We are born, live, die and then do the same thing over again.

Threads: 11
Thanks Received: 2
Thanks Given: 4
Status
None
(08-11-2012, 04:25 PM)Gi Nattak Wrote: I can probably find the song pointers, since I know what they will look like and would hopefully be located right above or around the instruments. Yes, there's a ton of ROM to search through, but there's ways of narrowing it down a lot. I'll give it a shot tomorrow.

Cool! Glad to hear it!
  Find

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 234
Thanks Given: 56
Status
Tissue-aware
(08-11-2012, 11:44 AM)the_randomizer Wrote: Exactly, since this NPC triggers an event that swaps the pointers in the ROM itself. Pinpointing it would be a real PITA to say the least. Unfortunately, no one has accepted the challenge to do so.

Where did you get that info ? No matter what you change in a game by playing it, it will most likely never overwrite or swap data in the ROM. I'm not going to read the whole thread, but you song swapping is probably a flag set in the RAM, that's it.

Do you think every item you get or the stats of your player are overwritten in the ROM in real time ? That's the job of the RAM. Now there is SRAM, which is saved when you save your game. Your song swapping is probably a bit set in the SRAM. The only thing is that you need to know which bit is concerned and for that, disassemble some code. There is no magic trick. You could try it.

For the same reason mentioned above this won't work, unless you do it for the SRAM, if you know where it is located:

(08-09-2012, 05:30 PM)QuickFix Wrote: I've never tried anything like this, but if I wanted it to happen I'd probably try this - setup Geiger's SPC debugger, then trigger a random encounter, with the old music. Then, go trip the variable to change the battle music. Then, attempt to get into the same random encounter with EVERYTHING else being the same, such as inventory, party members, hp, etc. then parse the two logs and try to "find the differences". If you're lucky, only a few bytes will be different, allowing you to laser in your focus on just a few possibilities.
  Find

Threads: 41
Thanks Received: 16
Thanks Given: 12
Status
None
(08-13-2012, 10:46 AM)the_randomizer Wrote: Besides, GiNattack said he would look at it anyway.

Oh God. Here we go again.

Status
Tissue-aware
(08-13-2012, 10:46 AM)the_randomizer Wrote: Sheesh. I was just guessing, who did you think I was, someone who knew the ins and outs of ROM hacking? Besides, GiNattack said he would look at it anyway.

I simply thought you were someone interested in ROM hacking, i.e. someone trying stuff and experimenting by himself. Nobody will hack the game for you and give you all the answer, but we can guide you. The f**k**g game is not documented, at least not the part you want to modify. Go ahead close your account, I will open my bottle of 1913 champagne right after.

EDIT: I will once again state that nothing is modified in the ROM when you play a game. A ROM by definition is read only. The RAM is read AND write. Finding the song pointer will only tells you where the songs are in the ROM, which is not very useful since data is never modified in the ROM. I'm not making this up, it's how the SNES works.
  Find

Status
None
Hrm, Madsiur has a very valid point there (Okay, a couple valid points). Anyway, with that in mind, if all your trying to do is change the song, and it is switched by an event that is most likely saved with your game... couldn't you forget hacking the rom all together and just hack the save file or save state , to unflip said switch?

I've never played with snes save files or saved states so don't know if this would be easier or not, but possibly better documented. Tis a thought.

Threads: 41
Thanks Received: 16
Thanks Given: 12
Status
None
(08-16-2012, 05:30 PM)Catone Wrote: If all your trying to do is change the song, and it is switched by an event that is most likely saved with your game...

Final Fantasy VI has "entrance events" on maps, which basically check for certain conditions to be true or false. Based on those checks, certain NPC's, or certain songs are loaded. For example, before kefka kills leo in thamasa, the map of thamasa does not show the grave. After he is killed, when entering thamasa, a new map is loaded, with the grave part. If you are in the WOR, yet another map is loaded.

If we could ever say that FF6 and Breath of Fire 2 were coded in a similar way, then there could be an entrance event for the world map that changes songs based on the progress of the game? Just a theory.

Status
Tissue-aware
(08-16-2012, 07:18 PM)Angelo26 Wrote: Final Fantasy VI has "entrance events" on maps, which basically check for certain conditions to be true or false.

And that condition is a bit, a flag, an event bit (call it how you want) set to 0 or 1 in the SRAM.
  Find