Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Final Fantasy Legacy, shut down!

Threads: 13
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 6
Status
Crystal
I hate to say it but one of my favorite games has officially been shut down. And I doubt that I will ever play the game again, which kinda saddens me. FFL got a cease and desist notice from Square Enix, meaning that they are no longer able to play the game in the format that it is. Which pretty much tells me that the game is pretty much screwed. Otherwise, I'll just drop this here for those of you who played the game, and enjoyed it.
  Find

Threads: 250
Thanks Received: 11
Thanks Given: 7
Status
Traitor
I didn't really like the developers, staff or the community the game offered but the games idea was really sounds. It's how Squenix should have done their MMORPG's if I say so myself. I did play the game to level 99 as a White Mage and it was genuinely fun playing with friends, regardless of lag. Tongue

I foresee Guylock coming in here saying something like "See ... I told ya so! I saw this coming a mile away!"
Good ole Guylock. ^_^
  Find

Threads: 1
Thanks Given: 0
Status
Runic
just like chrono trigger: crimson echoes, why must good fangames get shut down like this. ;[

(note: i never played it, i was thinking about super mario bros. x that got taken down by nintendo. Surprised)

"Expect an early Winter with lots of snow!" Roan's Snowball Fight move

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheArcadianKnight
I'm a serious Grandia II fan and my all-time favorite character is Roan
  Find

Status
Traitor
It's funny because fan games are often better than the companies that send out the C&D letters.
FF13 is a prime example of epic fail. It doesn't compare to FFIV, FFV, or FFVI; yet, people make fan games and instead of Square-Enix buying the game from them, they shut them down. Very smart Squenix....
  Find

Threads: 5
Status
None
Too be honest, now they actually have a chance to improve the game. Every class was a fan-favorite hero of the series, and I couldn't stomach the idea of playing Cecil #4723 just to enjoy the Paladin. The admins were arrogant and awful, the community was reminiscent of 4chan, but the potential was so good. I'm too biased towards FF6 and lost interest in our pet project when it wasn't so FF6-oriented, but if they would look at the things The Hunting Grounds did and emulate it, they could still maintain a pretty reasonable playerbase if they genuinely wanted to (Unique Classes based on a world similar to Final Fantasy, without specifically paying homage to "one of them").

They were probably reported if they were accepting donations or ANY form of payment within the game, as a particular higher-up in the BYOND community is extremely abhorrent of even the most minoot profit in fan games (regardless of server cost)
  Find

Status
Traitor
I agree with SDeluxe. His reply elaborated on the content of my post quite well. The idea was good, the community and developers were all dicks and probable pissed off the wrong fellow who reported them. SDeluxe, Squenix would still send a C&D letter to Abba or whoever owned the game, free or not. Donations or not.
  Find

Threads: 5
Status
None
I agree, but ever notice the lack of DBZ games on BYOND in the ANIME section? SilkWizard, owner of the highly successful NEStalgia BYOND game, took wind that some of the most successful DBZ-fan games were profiting from their members using intellectual property they didn't even own. As a result, he posted an angry letter to the community and then proceeded to call, and email, FUNimation.

This resulted in the first major C&D letter BYOND had received. All fan games were removed from any public hubs, and could only be linked to externally. This includes Final Fantasy, Dragon Warrior Games, Naruto Games, etc.
  Find

Status
Traitor
Kinda makes me glad our project kinda died. We might have put forth a lot of effort and all to find a C&D letter in our inboxes.
  Find

Status
None
(07-01-2011, 01:43 AM)Zεεຕใร Wrote: I didn't really like the developers, staff or the community the game offered but the games idea was really sounds. It's how Squenix should have done their MMORPG's if I say so myself. I did play the game to level 99 as a White Mage and it was genuinely fun playing with friends, regardless of lag. Tongue

I foresee Guylock coming in here saying something like "See ... I told ya so! I saw this coming a mile away!"
Good ole Guylock. ^_^

yea, this was gonna happen sooner or later, same will happen to FFO as well.
I call this Karma. Tongue

Edit: FFO was also removed from Byond. LMAO!

I'm da stress kitty!!!
  Find

Status
Runic
@guylock: what's FFO? Huh

"Expect an early Winter with lots of snow!" Roan's Snowball Fight move

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheArcadianKnight
I'm a serious Grandia II fan and my all-time favorite character is Roan
  Find