Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
New Computer on its Way!

Threads: 83
Thanks Received: 55
Thanks Given: 7
Status
Obliviscence
Heya guys. My new computer is on its way (in pieces)! I will be putting it together hopefully next weekend and be able to stream from it shortly after that. It'll be missing a dedicated graphics card for a while tho as we couldn't quite afford the one we want yet. But even running on the processors GPU it should still work better than my current laptop.

Here's the loadout:

Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 - Mid Tower Computer Case with High Airflow Design (RC-912-KKN1-GP)
PSU: EVGA 600B Bronze 100-B1-0600-KR Power Supply, 600W
Motherboard: ASUS Z170-A ATX DDR4 Motherboards
Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - CPU Cooler with 120mm PWM Fan (RR-212E-20PK-R2)
CPU: Intel Boxed Core I5-6600K 3.50 GHz, 6 M Processor Cache 6 for LGA 1151 (BX80662I56600K)
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz (PC4-24000) C15 Memory Kit - Black
SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 250GB - 2.5-Inch SATA III Internal SSD (MZ-75E250B/AM)

incidentally, this will be bumping me down to a single 1080p monitor for a while, but hopefully I'll be getting a good 2K or 4K monitor around the same time we get our graphics card... but again, more saving!

This will be the first time I've built a computer in 13 years, but I'm assuming it's all pretty much the same process as it used to be Tongue. It'll be nice to use a computer that's ACTUALLY mine and not my job's.

Just wanted to share my joy.

Happy Hacking!
  Find

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 234
Thanks Given: 56
Status
Tissue-aware
I have little hardware knowledge but this seems cool! As someone studying in an IT field, I feel embarrassed to never have put together a PC.

I know there is a website that can do the parts matching (part A compatible with part B), do you use this?
  Find

Threads: 83
Thanks Received: 55
Thanks Given: 7
Status
Obliviscence
I didn't, I actually worked with some gamers on another site I go to from time to time about it, got pointed to a bunch of different lists and articles, then worked out my build and put it up to see if it looked good, then after getting a few positive responses was happy with it. So it went through a few rounds of "this will work, right?".
  Find

Threads: 11
Thanks Received: 22
Thanks Given: 13
Status
Double
(07-29-2016, 02:47 AM)Madsiur Wrote: I have little hardware knowledge but this seems cool! As someone studying in an IT field, I feel embarrassed to never have put together a PC.

I know there is a website that can do the parts matching (part A compatible with part B), do you use this?

Don't worry, I've never put together a PC either.  I don't really want to pay for it and I don't need a better PC for very much.

Confused Moogles FTW

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 234
Thanks Given: 56
Status
Tissue-aware
I tried today to install a 3rd hardrive (I got one 120GB SSD for my OS and one 1TB SATA for data). Two problems arised: The power supply connector left is outdated (and I got a 2013 PC) and my power supply is only 220V, which is probably not enough. In the process I also inverted my D: drive (second hard drive) with my E: drive (DVD player) and I can't seem to reconnect the wires properly to bring back to the inverse.

Monday I'm going to the store and ask to change the power supply, install, partition and format the new hard drive, swap D: and E: and while we're at it install and extra 16GB of RAM (2x empty 8GB slots left) which will bring my PC to 32GB of RAM.
  Find

Threads: 98
Thanks Received: 147
Thanks Given: 156
Status
Nattak\'d
(07-29-2016, 02:47 AM)Madsiur Wrote: I have little hardware knowledge but this seems cool! As someone studying in an IT field, I feel embarrassed to never have put together a PC.

At least you were successful putting your Raspberry Pi together! Victory

We are born, live, die and then do the same thing over again.

Threads: 44
Thanks Received: 22
Thanks Given: 17
Status
Imprisoned
damn 32gb ram. nice man

The only limit is imagination. And 16 colors.. I guess 

Threads: 3
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 8
Status
None
As someone who work in IT as a computer technician/builder/reseller/consultant, I approve your build Smile If you guys need technical assistance, feel free to PM me.
  Find