FF6 Hacking
Battle Event: Locke and the Merchant/Officer - Printable Version

+- FF6 Hacking (https://www.ff6hacking.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discussion Forums (https://www.ff6hacking.com/forums/forum-5.html)
+--- Forum: Magitek Research Facility (https://www.ff6hacking.com/forums/forum-9.html)
+--- Thread: Battle Event: Locke and the Merchant/Officer (/thread-2884.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Battle Event: Locke and the Merchant/Officer - justincreedon - 06-15-2015

hey guy, me again... hopefully not another really easy one. Been working on it most of the night and have made some good progress, but just have one little issue hopefully someone has already resolved in their game, or at least someone who's in a creative mood can help me work around it.

Obviously with removing Locke from the game South Figaro after occupation is a little difficult. I managed (by digging through this site) to figure out how to make the battle script work for me to activate the event, also (thanks to Angelo's stickied post) got all of the movements to be played out by Shadow. However, he jumps, spins, and then jumps back still full ninja. When back in SF he is now a merchant, but that inconsistency is not acceptable since I'm trying to make this at least as polished as the original.

So the question is, has anyone figured out exactly how it changes battle sprite mid movement? If not, what do you guys think would make for a decent set of graphical actions to make this make sense. I wouldn't normally just ask for creative advice, but it's late and I spent most of the day hanging drywall, so I'm spent. Any advice would be appreciated, Thanks again.

RE: Battle Event: Locke and the Merchant/Officer - madsiur - 06-15-2015

(06-15-2015, 10:42 PM)justincreedon Wrote: So the question is, has anyone figured out exactly how it changes battle sprite mid movement? If not, what do you guys think would make for a decent set of graphical actions to make this make sense.

Angelo did spent some time on that event and he told me after some testing only Locke could be transformed into a merchant during the fight :/

RE: Battle Event: Locke and the Merchant/Officer - justincreedon - 06-15-2015

Well on the battle events post it looks like he left it incomplete, he has it ending on 0F when the event actually end on FF. There is some very unfamiliar code right after the 0F but before the last action queue (which I assume is the actor jumping back into line) but it seemed like nothing I did to that code would even break the game let alone progress. So I was assuming maybe it went to a subroutine or another segment of code that handled that, but I don't know if subroutines are handled in battle events like they are in map events or not.. This is all kinda over my head at the moment. But thanks for the quick reply.

You would have to break down the battle event and find the two byte command that make him switch uniforms. From there, maybe with the help of the debugger find where in the code an actor number is hard coded. Maybe it's a misleading trail, I'm not sure. That piece of code would probably be in bank C1.

RE: Battle Event: Locke and the Merchant/Officer - justincreedon - 06-15-2015

I would definitely be willing to try that, but I have no idea how to work the debuggers. I downloaded the ones I could find, but none of them seemed to work for me. Any idea where I could find literature to see how to work one?

RE: Battle Event: Locke and the Merchant/Officer - Gi Nattak - 06-15-2015

What if...since that part of the battle event with the clothes/sprite change seems to be hardcoded for character 01 (Locke), you load/swap character 01 back in right before the battle and give him the properties of Shadow as well as the graphics/palette/name? Then change it back to Shadow 100% afterwords, before the event is wrapped up. I might be missing something important that would prevent this from working, but it's all I can think of atm besides just removing the whole battle event, or ending it early or editing it to be a bit different so it doesn't look unfinished. But if my idea is executed correctly it should look rather seamless and work I'd imagine. Might have to work in a screen fade though maybe, when swapping the character ID...I'm unsure about that without trying it myself. It's an idea though!

(06-15-2015, 11:17 PM)justincreedon Wrote: I would definitely be willing to try that, but I have no idea how to work the debuggers. I downloaded the ones I could find, but none of them seemed to work for me. Any idea where I could find literature to see how to work one?

Geiger's SNES9X debugger has a GUI, it's easy to use. I've seen a written tutorial somewhere online but I can't remember where.

RE: Battle Event: Locke and the Merchant/Officer - justincreedon - 06-16-2015

(06-15-2015, 11:17 PM)Gi Nattak Wrote: What if...since that part of the battle event with the clothes/sprite change seems to be hardcoded for character 01 (Locke), you load/swap character 01 back in right before the battle and give him the properties of Shadow as well as the graphics/palette/name? Then change it back to Shadow 100% afterwords, before the event is wrapped up. I might be missing something important that would prevent this from working, but it's all I can think of atm besides just removing the whole battle event, or ending it early or editing it to be a bit different so it doesn't look unfinished. But if my idea is executed correctly it should look rather seamless and work I'd imagine. Might have to work in a screen fade though maybe, when swapping the character ID...I'm unsure about that without trying it myself. It's an idea though!

I could try this (or rewrite the whole thing up to this point) with Shadow as actor $01. Wouldn't be TOO hard I suppose. It's way too late to see now, but I think he may already be character $01 outside of battles, because he acts as Locke does, so really I would just have to change which sprite was which and just change the palette for the overworld map and dog block (obviously) and that might work. And I thought I made progress. Laugh

(06-15-2015, 11:20 PM)Madsiur Wrote: Geiger's SNES9X debugger has a GUI, it's easy to use. I've seen a written tutorial somewhere online but I can't remember where.

Is that available on romhacking? I think I have that one, maybe I just forgot to try it. I'll look around for a tut if Nattak's plan doesn't work, or just when I have time.Thanks again for the quick replies.

RE: Battle Event: Locke and the Merchant/Officer - Gi Nattak - 06-16-2015

You've made great progress in the sense that you are learning more and more each time you put in work! I know what you mean though. Backtracking is never fun after investing time into getting something done, just to realize it was more or less not needed in the first place. Or actually, when the damn game doesn't agree with something as simple as any sprite being able to change into the merchant sprite for that battle event! But those ones are really tricky how they're coded, so I'm not surprised.

RE: Battle Event: Locke and the Merchant/Officer - Murak Modder - 06-16-2015

In terms of making Shadow into Locke, you wouldn't need to alter any palettes as you could set the battle palette and change all instances of Locke as an NPC and when his graphics are assigned to load Shadow instead.

Here's the placements for it, as taken from a handy guide another user made.

Locke stays a character for most of the game. His properties are set in the introduction. I believe
the only time he's an NPC is in the Phoenix Cave. He uses sprite ID 0x01 and palette 0x01.

CC:A627 0x01
CC:A62A 0x01

Locke's sprite and palette change a lot during his scenario. When a merchant, he uses sprite ID 0x13
and palette 0x01. When a soldier, he uses sprite ID 0x0E and palette 0x00. His cloths revert if you
get busted or when you meet Celes.

CA:860E 0x13 (STOLE MERCHANT CLOTHS)
CA:8611 0x01 (STOLE MERCHANT CLOTHS)

CA:7DD5 0x13 (STOLE CIDER MERCHANT CLOTHS)
CA:7DD8 0x01 (STOLE CIDER MERCHANT CLOTHS)

CA:7EC6 0x0E (STOLE GENERAL CLOTHS)
CA:7EC9 0x00 (STOLE GENERAL CLOTHS)

CA:85C2 0x01 (BUSTED)
CA:85C5 0x01 (BUSTED)

CA:867D 0x01 (MEET CELES)
CA:8680 0x01 (MEET CELES)

For this to work fully, you'd just have to give Original Locke the intended Shadow moveset or assign his properties to him, either way works.