FF6 Hacking
Official FF6: Beyond Chaos thread (randomizer) - Printable Version

+- FF6 Hacking (https://www.ff6hacking.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Hacks, Resources and Tutorials (https://www.ff6hacking.com/forums/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Jidoor Auction House (https://www.ff6hacking.com/forums/forum-4.html)
+---- Forum: Completed Hacks (https://www.ff6hacking.com/forums/forum-27.html)
+---- Thread: Official FF6: Beyond Chaos thread (randomizer) (/thread-2716.html)

RE: Official FF6: Beyond Chaos thread (randomizer) - Cecil188 - 09-06-2015

Pro-tip: Don't put too much stock into Ribbons. A lot of the dangerous status effects can be walled with Safety Bits/Memento Rings, which are far more common. A Ribbon or two is sometimes useful for the final battle, but not always.

RE: Official FF6: Beyond Chaos thread (randomizer) - DavidB1111 - 09-06-2015

To be honest, I hate status aliments in games, so that's why the Ribbons are so good for me.
That said, I find Death/zombify/etc not as annoying as confusion/poison/slow/stop/etc. Smile

Plus, half the time I ran into death attacks, they weren't blockable by Safety bits. Smile
Safety Bits, not as powerful as vanish.

So, update, Banon is now Relm. Now that's hilarious.
Then again, all imperial soldiers look like Banon.
Revenge of Banon!

Stealing the merchants clothing makes my Locke, who looks like Cyan turn into Celes. Freud would have a field day on this.
Oh, interesting to note, beating merchants is even more rewarding, since they drop muscle belts 100%.

Another update, Celes is also now Doma Sentries. So, basically Doma Castle is manned by the Celes Clone army.

Ghosts on the Phantom Train look like Kefka. Hehehe. Also, monsters one the Phantom Train, kind of stupid hard. One enemy has a random counter to your attack. any attack at all, that fires off giga Volt. Which instantly kills anyone in your party it hits, because monsters on the PHantom Train who look like enemies you find in the Serpent trench have absurd levels of magic power.
It does like 900 damage. The enemy that uses it is level 15 and has a MPOW of 11.
I'm pretty sure Ultima does only about 1200 damage at that low of a MPOW at level 15.
Is Giga Volt supposed to be about as powerful as Ultima?
Me thinks you should scale down the damage Giga Volt does. Or at least give me a lesson on spell power. Because otherwise I kind of look like some kind of jerk. Smile

The holy dragon in my last game with 1 MPOW only did like 450 damage a hit with Holy. His level probably explains why it was that high.

Katanasoul on the Phantom Train was friendlier. Smile

Also, I should point out the game is basically trolling me, since I can't get access to any healing items at all, except for status ailment cures, and sleeping bags/tents.
No, really, I don't think I've seen any items in shops like tonics at all.
I can't even abuse Bio by healing myself while wearing something that absorbs poison. Bio is an innate ability of Shadow's imperial soldier replacement. Humorously, Cyan's replacement is named Tenchi.

So, Gau's replacement is Terra with both Boltedge and Firewall as built in skills. Tongue The game is now going to be a lot easier. Smile
Also, please let me know if giant wall of text is better than multiple posts.

Espers haven't been much of a disappointment so far, with the first 4.
Opera House rats weren't an issue this time thanks to Bolt Edge. Neither was Ultros thanks to Sabin's replacement learning bolt 3 right before the fight thanks to Natural magic.
So, Mog replaces Seltzer, and General Leo replaces Celes. I got nothing. Insert your own joke here.

So, Protoarmor shows up in the Magiteck Research Facility, and looks and seems unchanged from it's base form.
I don't know if the randomizer skipped over it, or it's a weird bug.
Number 024 decided to not use Ice Rabbit as a counter to every attack just about this time and just stood there and let me kill him really fast. Smile

Can you please remove Raid from every enemy in the World of Balance?!? Please. I'll pay you money!
Seriously, the Cave to the sealed gate is land of the trolls.
There's one enemy that counters all magic, and throw, with Raid.
That is the most annoying attack ever, and needs a nerf. Tongue
Okay, so, it's weak to X-Zone, kind of, and can be beserked.

So, Strago is now a ghost, and Relm is an imp. Hah!

Okay, seriously, does the Floating Continent really need enemies that can hit you with sleep, and also sneeze randomly after your attacks?
Even the Dragon in the original game wasn't that trolly.

So, World of Ruin's graphics are the glitchy purple sand land ones, why me? Sad
Seriously, is there anyway to fix the Epilepsy inducing flickering?
My eyes, the goggles, they do nothing.

So, I bought a Czarina Gown for 50,000 GP. And apparently, it borrowed from the Cursed Shield, because it makes your character confused in battle. Now that's silly. Smile

Okay, so, FlameEater wanted a rematch and showed up in the Figaro Cave in the WoR before you jump on the Turtle. Oh, boy!

Okay, Tenkarider had Doom Gaze with Regen? I have to fight Doom Gaze with Regen, Vanish, and freaking Reflect.
Really, game? Doom Gaze with Reflect and Vanish to start the fight with?

So, Killed the Skull Dragon, who had Reraise, hahahaha, funny, and beat him by spamming throw, with every weapon I had basically. Smile
In retrospect, not the best idea.
Oh, and GP rain.
But I despise backtracking.

RE: Official FF6: Beyond Chaos thread (randomizer) - DavidB1111 - 09-14-2015

So, is this thread dead? Just wondering.
No one's replied for quite some time.

RE: Official FF6: Beyond Chaos thread (randomizer) - Tenkarider - 09-14-2015

Nah, the thread can't die, not Beyond Chaos's one Hold on the fact is that if you update a post, instead of posting again, the site won't say that the thread is updated, when i saw your post's first version(without edits) i was few lines and i had no word to say, now it's much bigger...

There's no way Giga Volt is stronger than Ultima, unless the target is weak to thunder and his m.defense isn't very high.

Quote:Okay, so, it's weak to X-Zone, kind of, and can be beserked.
Once again there's no reason to ask for nerfs, bad randomization is something you must accept in the same way you accept good randomization, despite that this enemy still had huge weaknesses.

Quote:Okay, Tenkarider had Doom Gaze with Regen? I have to fight Doom Gaze with Regen, Vanish, and freaking Reflect.
Really, game? Doom Gaze with Reflect and Vanish to start the fight with?

If you can cast reflect on your allies, then you can cast spells on them and bounce them to Doom Gaze, or just use a not-reflectable spell attack(even bushido/blitz have some magic attack in their list)

To be fair, saying don't ask for nerfs because of randomness is the height of laziness. Smile

Randomness isn't designed to be broken, it's designed to be random.
Enemies that do over 1000 damage with Giga Volt with 15 MPow against characters with normal magic defense on the Phantom Train is not exactly logical.
Also, I didn't say it was stronger than Ultima, I wondered if it was almost as strong.

Regardless, I'm all the way up to dealing with Shadow in the Collisieum, and for some reason, he won't show up.
What was it I'm supposed to bet to get him exactly?

Also, way too many monsters this time have sneeze. Tongue
Though, I'd take that over throw OP as hell.

That said, this game is being super trolly, because Alexander has Ultima, I have the Paladin shield, and Ragnarok is the only Esper with Osmosis. I got two potential Cursed Shields, but I don't really like spending hours fighting 255 battles. Tongue

I'm still chugging along, but don't dismiss my complaints because, "Random."
That's pretty insulting to me.

Nothing is perfect, not even randomness, and even randomness can be balanced.
A progression of difficulty is to be expected. Frustrating battles due to nonsensical abilities isn't a good thing.

Also, Can we please code in that the sneak ring works on whoever the person with steal is.
Because it apparently likes to default to Locke, and if he doesn't steal, you're royally FUBARed.

I do like this randomizer, it's a heck of a lot of fun.
I may complain here and there, but I also like to point out hilarious things.

And why did you only focus on two things?

RE: Official FF6: Beyond Chaos thread (randomizer) - Cecil188 - 09-14-2015

Giga Volt pulls from Aspik AI, and as we all might remember, Giga Volt was an OHKO there as well.

ProtoArmor is unchanged, basically.

Quote:To be fair, saying don't ask for nerfs because of randomness is the height of laziness. Smile

Randomness isn't designed to be broken, it's designed to be random.
Enemies that do over 1000 damage with Giga Volt with 15 MPow against characters with normal magic defense on the Phantom Train is not exactly logical.

Randomness is not an excuse: random is random!
Not wanting to make some effort in detecting enemies's weaknesses is laziness Objection!
Random is not designed to be LOGIC!! it's quite the exact opposite, random is chaos(Beyond Chaos Tongue) logic is order, order and chaos are the opposite, despite that it's still designed to not be just stupid.

If you know something about statistics... if we took a range of values between 0 and 100(0 is bad, 100 is good), then if you pick a random number you can get something next to 0, which is bad; next to 100, which is good or next to 50, which is normal.
due to Law of large numbers, most of the times randomness won't be too much distant from 50, but rarely there will be some 11, 3, 15, ... or some 87, 95, 90,...

That's randomess, whether you like it or not.
If you want a range between 20 and 80(or even worse between 20 and 100) then you don't want Beyond Chaos.

Abyssonym already spent enough time in preventing unwinnable fight(in the storyline) if you can't beat someone right at the moment, that means...
1) you're not strong enough at the moment, escape can be an option;
2) you didn't search enough among your resources, or his weaknesses;
3) it's time to make a build just for that monster, you can't expect to winning, doing always the same things

If i'm not wrong i remenber Abyss said once that since random battles are optional, it was intentional to leave them stronger than normal or potentially more dangerous than some boss(depends on how much bad the randomization is)

Quote:And why did you only focus on two things?
Me? Take a look at my review about Beyond Chaos: it should be among first pages of this thread.

Okay. Good points. I'm sorry for being annoying.

I get grumpy too easily sometimes.

It's fine Wink
Just keep going

RE: Official FF6: Beyond Chaos thread (randomizer) - abyssonym - 09-14-2015

It's okay to want it to be balanced. I did try to balance it even if just a little bit. Most of all I want it to be fun and interesting, and it won't be if it's too hard to progress. But if I'm being honest, the audience I had in mind for Beyond Chaos was people who are already very knowledgeable about the game. I wanted them to experience the game anew and for BC to teach them (and me) things that they never knew about FF6, so it did end up being quite difficult. I'm happy to see anyone playing it, though.

(Even if I did want it to be perfectly balanced, I'm not skilled enough or have enough time to fix everything)

(Really I want BC to be a tribute or a love letter to the original game, so rather than "improving", I tried to make modifications that "reveal" things like obscure game mechanics and weird combinations of equipment and abilities)

Regarding Tenkarider's reference to the Law of Large Numbers, most things in BC are actually randomized on a normal distribution, like rolling two dice, so extreme changes are more unlikely... although high level monsters are weighted to get more favorable stat boosts, to keep the game interesting.